For many people, summer is the best time of year. The days are long and warm, the weather is wonderful and there are lots of fun things to see and do.
If you want to enjoy all the great things the summer season has to offer, you first need to make sure your home is in great shape. Before you know it, you will be welcoming summer visitors, enjoying backyard barbecues and lounging in the abundant sunshine. You can do it all without guilt once you have completed all the tasks on your summer home maintenance checklist.
Prepare Your Appliances
From the air conditioner in your window to the refrigerator in your kitchen, your appliances have to work extra hard when the weather heats up. Now is the time to make sure your appliances are ready to take the heat.
• Check the seal on your refrigerator door. These seals can wear out, and as they age, they reduce the efficiency of the appliance.
• Clean the condenser coils. The coils on your fridge will need to work extra hard to whisk away excess heat, so make sure they are free of dust and other debris.
• Change the filters in your air conditioners. If you did not swap out your old AC filters for brand new ones last fall, now is the time to do it. Clean filters mean more efficient operation, and lower cooling bills for you.
• Clean the range hood. An accumulation of grease and dirt can block the vents and do real damage to your range, so take a few minutes to clean things out.
• Check the hot water heater. Sediment can build up on your hot water heater, reducing its efficiency and even shortening its life. Now is the time to check the water heater and remove built-up sediment as needed.
Get Your Bathroom Ready for Summer
Summer means backyard barbecues and lots of guests, and some of these guests will need to use your bathroom. Make sure your bathroom is guest-ready with these steps.
• Clean the shower drain. The hot weather means more showers, and more chances for the drain to get clogged with hair, soap scum and other debris. Cleaning the drain now can prevent backups later.
• Unclog the vent fan. Summer is the perfect time to clean out the vents in the bathroom fans. It takes just a few minutes, and the cleaning can prevent long-term damage.
• Keep your showerhead clean. If your showers are not as refreshing as they once were, a clogged showerhead could be to blame. Now is the time to clean and unclog your showerhead, so you can enjoy a summer full of long and refreshing showers.
Clean Those Neglected Areas
No matter how diligently you clean your home, there are always some neglected spots. Now is the time to do that deep cleaning, starting with the following:
• Clean the blades on your ceiling fan. Now that the weather is getting warmer, you will be using your ceiling fan more, so make sure the blades are clean and dust-free.
• Check your outdoor AC unit. If you have an outdoor air conditioning unit, be sure it is not blocked by fallen limbs, dead leaves and other debris winter may have left behind.
• Scrub away mold and mildew. From the shower to the siding, mold and mildew grows more quickly in hot and humid conditions, so check the interior and exterior of your home. You can remove mold and mildew with a diluted bleach solution.
• Inspect your crawl spaces. It was too cold to check the crawl spaces in winter, but now the weather is warmer. Take a look in those neglected crawl spaces, remove debris, kill mold and mildew and inspect the area for other problems.
Summer is the perfect time to ramp up your home maintenance and cleaning. The weather is warmer, so being outside is more pleasant. The days are longer, so there is more light to work by. With no shortage of maintenance tasks to do, the sooner you start your summer home checklist, the better off you, and your property, will be.